Find out what steps to take if you’ve experienced an electric shock.
If you think you have just experienced an electric shock:
We define an electric shock as something that happens when a person makes contact with an electrical energy source. This causes electrical energy to flow through part of the body, causing a shock.
- Are there any noticeable burns to your skin?
- Have you experienced unconsciousness?
- Have you had difficulty breathing?
- Have you had seizures?
- Have you felt confused?
- Have you had any numbness, tingling, paralysis,
or vision, hearing or speech problems?
- Are you or do you think you are pregnant?
If you answer ‘YES’ to any of the above, immediately seek medical attention.
Ring 000 for emergency medical attention.
If you have not experienced these but still believe you’ve been shocked, ring or visit your GP.